Most of the person complain about the fake GST bill which issued by the few shop keepers, restaurant and other places. All we know very well that GST is applicable in India and only registered shop keeper charge the GST amount from customer only. There are lot of person still confuse about charge the GST. Lot of person take advantage of this confusion and they charge GST amount from customer and also mention them on hardcopy.
Must Read: 8 Important Points about the GST in India
But we just want to clear an important thing only those shop keeper charge GST whose registered himself under the GST. After registration under the GST he will get a unique 15 digit GSTIN number. GSTIN stands for Goods & Service Tax Identification Number. All those business entities who are registering himself under the GST will get a unique identification number which is known as GSTIN. As per the GST act it is mandatory to mention the GSTIN on seller or buyer on the invoices. First we have to know what is the GSTIN number, let’s start.
Structure of GST Identification Number:
- Each taxpayer will be assigned a state wise PAN based Goods and Services Taxpayer Identification Number – GSTIN. The unique GSTIN number is 15 digit long.
- The first two digits of GSTIN represent the state code. Each state has a unique two digit state code like 08 for Rajasthan.
- The next ten digits of GSTIN will be the PAN number of the registered taxpayer.
- 13th digit indicates the number of registrations an entity has within a state for the same PAN.
- It will be an alpha-numeric number (first 1-9 and then A-Z) and will be assigned on the basis of number of registrations a legal entity (having the same PAN) has within one state.
- The fourteenth digit has no use and it will be by default Z.
- The fifteen digit will be a check code which is used for detection of errors.
How to can i identify fake GST bill?
To identify fake GST bill is not so easy for normal customers. But after reading this guide you can easily cross check that given GST number is fake or genuine. To do this job you have to take following given steps.
Step 1: If you feel that particular shop keeper not eligible to charge GST in the bill then you have to check his GST number on Govt website. To check the genuine GST number you have to click on the given link.
Step 2: After clicking on this link your control transfer to Goods and Service Tax website. Now you have to put 15 digit GSTIN/UIN number of the Taxpayer which is printed on the bill. Now click on the search button.
- If GSTIN is incorrect, then you will get the following message on your screen:
- The GSTIN/UIN that you have entered is invalid. Please enter a valid GSTIN/UIN.
- If GSTIN is correct, the following information along with GSTIN status displayed on your screen:
Legal name of business
Date of registration
Constitution of business – private or public limited company, sole-proprietor or partnership firm.
Step 3: If you found about the fake GST number then you can easily send your complain against such fake GST number either by calling the number or using the help desk website.
Phone No: 0120-4888999, 011-23370115
Email ID: [email protected]
Twitter: @askGST_Goi, @FinMinIndia
I hope given information is useful for you. Now you can easily understand how can i identify fake GST bill? If you like this article then please send your valuable suggestions in the comment box.